What is the National Indigenous Youth Parliament?
The National Indigenous Youth Parliament (NIYP) is an exciting program run by the AEC in partnership with the YMCA and the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House.
NIYP will be held from 28 May to 3 June 2014 in Canberra. Participants will attend a training day, to be held in their state or territory in April 2014.
How do I apply?
Simply return your completed form and letter of support to the AEC by email, post or fax. More details are on the application form.
Alternatively, contact an AEC Indigenous and Community Engagement Officer in your state or territory and we will send one out to you.
Applications close on Monday 10 March 2014.
What’s in it for me?
- A 7-day residential program in Canberra, including meals, accommodation and travel
- New friends and new networks
- An opportunity to meet members of Parliament
- A chance to debate important issues and laws in the chambers of Old Parliament House
- Support and guidance from a mentor
- Activities that will challenge and inspire!
Who can apply?
Indigenous Australian aged between 16 and 25, with an interest in government and the parliamentary process, we want you to apply!
There are no specific skills required, just a willingness to be involved, and to stand up and be heard. More details are on the application form.
Products and resources
You can download the following resources to help us promote NIYP in your community.
|NSW||02 9375 6303||Indigenous-NSW@aec.gov.au|
|Vic.||03 9285 7142||Indigenous-VIC@aec.gov.au|
|Qld||07 3834 3450||Indigenous-QLD@aec.gov.au|
|WA||08 6363 8025||Indigenous-WA@aec.gov.au|
|SA||08 8237 6559||Indigenous-SA@aec.gov.au|
|Tas.||03 6235 0516||Indigenous-TAS@aec.gov.au|
|NT||08 8982 8006||Indigenous-NT@aec.gov.au|
|ACT||02 6271 4709||Indigenous@aec.gov.au|
Highlights from 2012 NIYP
The inaugural National Indigenous Youth Parliament was held in Canberra from 23–29 May 2012 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Indigenous right to vote in federal elections.
- Six representatives from each state and territory and two from the Torres Strait Islands
- Program highlights and timetable of debate
- NIYP image library
- National Indigenous Youth Parliament video